Sunday, May 13, 2007

BUENOS AIRES Part 2

On Thursday we did more touristy things – we saw the Casa Rosada


We saw the congreso

We saw a protest in the main square


We went to Calle Florida, the main shopping street, to look around, and had our first interesting security problem. I’ll just go ahead and say that I’m glad I’m not studying in Buenos Aires.

For lunch, we ate a great parrillada, with pasta as an appetizer, then they brought out a mini-grill with many different things, including steak, sausage, pork, and also kidneys (which were actually not horrible) and cow intestines (which were actually fairly horrible).


I bought a good Barcelona jersey that afternoon. That night we ate at a restaurant called Campo del Fiori, which I highly recommend. If you ever go to Buenos Aires, it’s on 1401 Calle Venezuela near the Congreso. They had fantastic pasta and wine, but more importantly, we had the best service I might have ever had in my life.


That night we went to a hip hop club that the other girls wanted to go to. We went and it was really boring (there were almost no Argentineans there, only gringos), except for a few things. First, there were girls dancing there that clearly had never heard any music other than reggaeton.

Second, a guy came in about an hour after we got there that totally changed my perspective on the night. For this, you have to keep in mind that everyone in this club was between 17 and 27. This guy had to be in his early 40s, slicked back short graying hair, about six foot two. His age wasn’t the biggest thing that stood out though – it was his outfit. He had a polo shirt and nice pants on, but on top of that, he had a full body length tan TRENCHCOAT. The thing was he didn’t even seem like a sketchy guy. Usually when someone is wearing a trenchcoat in a social situation that doesn’t call for that type of attire, you know something is wrong with them. I didn’t get that vibe from this guy – I just loved his boldness at coming to a club in a trenchcoat. Since none of us were really feeling the club, we made the rest of our stay there into a case study of trenchcoat guy. I couldn’t tell if the very attractive woman that came in at the same time as him was with him or not, but they seemed to be looking around for other people to dance with. Eventually he just started feeling the beat of the music and doing a funny dance on the side of the dance floor then eventually disappeared upstairs somewhere. Hilarious dude.

Then, as usually happens when you hang out with too many girls, drama started so we headed back to the hostel.

No comments: